Where it is?
Gilberton Outback Retreat is located in far North Queensland. The retreat is set on the banks of the Gilbert River. We are the 7th generation of our family to occupy Gilberton Station.
HOW TO GET THERE?
Charter flights are available from Cairns, Townsville and the Atherton Tablelands.
Helicopter transfers from Townsville and Atherton tablelands.
Contact us for pricing and availability.
The airstrip is located 5kms from the homestead and Retreat. We will arrange transfers for you. Please notify us prior to arrival.
Distance from Cairns: 183nm bearing 213
Airstrip GPS Coordinates: Lat S19 12.57 – Long E 143 39.8
- Length: 1200 mt long
- Width: 20 mt wide
- Elevation: 1900′ and strip direction is 02/20
- Surface: Dirt strip with good sandstone hard surface.
- Windsock: No
- All weather: Yes
- Slope: slight downhill slope to North
- 300′ tower on Eastern side of strip
**The RFDS use our strip to land their King Air.
By road via Google Maps
Most vehicles will handle the drive to Gilberton Outback Retreat without any problems.
Turn only at the Gilberton Outback retreat signs.
- Drive west along the Kennedy development Highway through the Atherton Tableland past to Mt Garnet.
- Continue heading along the Kennedy highway to the Lynd Junction /Oasis roadhouse, and have a beer at Aussie’s smallest pub before continuing on you trip.
- From the Lynd /Oasis roadhouse continue along the Kennedy highway 45km to the Oak Park turn off. A sign will be there saying Gilberton Outback Retreat. You now have only 118 km left to go. This will take you approximately 2 hours.
From Charters Towers
- Take the Gregory Developmental Road to the Lynd Junction.
- From the Lynd /Oasis roadhouse continue along the Kennedy highway 45km to the Oak Park turn off. A sign will be there saying Gilberton Outback Retreat. You now have only 118 km left to go. This will take you approximately 2 hours. Turn only at the Gilberton Outback Retreat signs. The last 118km is a gravel/dirt road. Please drive accordingly to road conditions.
From the south
- Take the Kennedy Developmental Road from Hughenden past Porcupine Gorge.
It is 212 km from Hughenden to Oak Park /Gilberton Outback Retreat turn off. Follow this road taking all the Gilberton Outback Retreat signs for 118km.
If you travel with UHF radio, Gilberton Outback Retreat will be on channel 38.